• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Vegans- eating for wound healing

cakehead

Bluelighter
not completely sure why but i whenever i have any sort of tissue damage it takes fucking ages to heal, example -had a blister from some new shoes recently and 12 weeks later it still hasnt healed properly. got several injuries that arent far behind.
my drug use is almost non-existant nowadays though i do drink a reasonable amount (but not enough to caue disruption to my life~) i take iron, b12 and vitaminc supplements
part from being more careful not to hurt myslef in the first place is there anything else that might help?

When you have slower wound healing going on you need to rule out diabetes. You aren't urinating more frequently than you used to are you?

Bioflavinoids, and vitamin C have a reputation for speeding up wound healing but as a vegan I would think you are probably getting plenty. Bromalain also has a good rep for stuff like this but can be sort of a pain because you have to take it on an empty stomach to absorb and utilize it.

^ Vegans don't use honey.

OP, with the example of the blister, have you been wearing the same shoes? Might be the shoes prolonging the injury. For other injuries, I highly suggest talking with your doctor--I take a lonnng time to heal (have not ruled out diabetes quite yet as another poster suggested--I do show other symptoms :-/), so my doctor prescribed me an ointment like Neosporin but prescription-strength. Don't know if it's Vegan-friendly or not (I got it long before I went Vegan so I have no qualms with usin' it up).

^ Vegans don't use honey.

OP, with the example of the blister, have you been wearing the same shoes? Might be the shoes prolonging the injury. For other injuries, I highly suggest talking with your doctor--I take a lonnng time to heal (have not ruled out diabetes quite yet as another poster suggested--I do show other symptoms :-/), so my doctor prescribed me an ointment like Neosporin but prescription-strength. Don't know if it's Vegan-friendly or not (I got it long before I went Vegan so I have no qualms with usin' it up).

I guess I never thought about it but yeah, a vegan wouldn't. Honey is pretty much bee spit. It's sooo good though, you guys are missing out. Maybe it's weird but I feel a big connection to nature when eating honey, it's just really rich robust.

I heal faster now that I'm not a vegetarian. But it probably depends on your body/metabolism type. Some can do it. I can't.

12 weeks is a worrysome amount of time for something to have not healed, indeed. I wish I knew more about it to give you a proper answer. It probably doesn't have anything to do with the veganism, but I don't know.

Get tested for diabetes, as impaired healing is a symptom.

Vegetarians and vegans also often lack zinc, which is instrumental in wound healing. Here is a short lay article on the matter.

I don't know your diet or eating habits, but insufficient protein can contribute to wound healing problems as well.

you should get into ayurvedic or chinese medicine, there are little powders you can take in these systems that really help with any kind of wound healing. youd be surprised how many common vegetables can be applied externally to treat wounds.

even something as simple as Five Photo Brand antisceptic and a cabbage leaf, tied to a wound with a tight band, can help in healing internal bleeding.

take plenty of vitamin c and E..vitamin c promotes healing and prevents infection. eat citrus foods

What does your diet look like? Inadequate K2, zinc, calcium, L-lysine, D3, etc. can all lead to slow healing rates.

Zinc, Vitamin C and Omega 3's. Most commonly found in fish oil. But since you are vegan. I would suggest flaxseed oil or just flaxseeds as a source of Omega 3's.

forgot about this.
thanks afor all the replies (well maybe not the red meat one :p )

two things to clear up first, im not diabetic,im not keen on drinking my own urine (i think that was mentioned here, i got confused betweent he start and the finish) :)

as it happens i increased my b12 supplement and that seemed to help as i am now a fully intact person again (physically anyway!!)

forgot about this.

two things to clear up first, im not diabetic,im not keen on drinking my own urine (i think that was mentioned here, i got confused betweent he start and the finish) :)

as it happens i increased my b12 supplement and that seemed to help as i am now a fully intact person again (physically anyway!!)

Thanks for the update! :D

Its always good to see an issue resolved. B12 is definitely important, especially for those living vegetarian/vegan lifestyles.

forgot about this.

I'm glad you're doing better!

How do you get B12? In a pill? If so, maybe try incorporating Nutritional Yeast into your diet. Red Star makes a tasty variety (http://www.veganstore.com/index.html?stocknumber=235 ). Some varieties are supposedly not as good as Red Star, but I got a no-name bulk bin variety at the local health food store, and it tasted just fine. I put nooch (what the Canadians call it, lawl) on pasta, rice, vegetables, ... Have even made a mac 'n' "cheese" with it! /ramblings about nooch